Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Against the Grain. A Sioux Falls Realtor thought.

Against the Grain.

Have you ever seen furniture or a guitar made of quarter sawn oak or maple? The grains are tighter and there are these little ribbons of pattern that burst sporatically throughout the surface of the wood. It’s really quite amazing and the name for those ribbon like patterns is kind of spectacular too. They are called medullary rays. (possible rock band name?)

These natural patterns/rays can't be seen or admired from wood that’s just cut the typical plain old way. It reveals something exciting and interesting that is hidden beneath the surface. This is achieved because the cut of the log was done by “going against the grain.” And that is EXACTYLY why I can appreciate it. It becomes an allegory for a lot of what I believe in.

If told, Do something. I will reply “I will.” If told, Do something different. I will kick back my chair, hop on the counter, hold up the rocker finger horns and belt out “R-R-R-Right On!”

Give something new.
Don’t let fear stop you.

The concert in my mind repeats these kind of lines like the chorus of a heavy metal ballad. Hey, it's my path to encouragement :)

I believe in innovation and more than anything I appreciate it when others believe in it too. I love it. I admire it. It simply ROCKS!

If you are going to do something, look to the leaders of those who have done it before you. Find out how they operate. Find out what systems they used to put on their show. Mimic these things that make their work easier, better, smoother. Then take that last bit, the piece (of the furniture, or song if you will) that everyone sees and turn it. Mix it up. Blast something that is unique for the whole world to hear!

I try to do that with my real estate career. I try to see what the leaders in my field are doing to systematize and I work on that. Then I add my own style.

 I can tell you that sometimes an idea will flop. Other times it will work. Sometimes people will ‘get it’ and other times they won’t. But I know that the right idea for each unique home or buyer at the right time can make a plain old situation turn into ribbons and patterns of coolness! I hope one day to be able to pack a stadium with past clients.

Now, how can I form a rock band and convince them to market my real estate biz for me?....

2 comments: